Friday, September 28, 2007

introductions are in order

Dear readers,

I just invited myself to become a blogger on this great new blog, so I figured introductions are in order. I am a 36 year old mother who lives in Duluth. I am sharing the mother bit with you all because it’s is part of the reason I became involved in the “We are watching” campaign. You see, I have a son, and I do not want my son to grow up and behave like some of our County Commissioners, no Fink for a role model please. Also I want my son to be able to stand up for injustices as he sees them. I want County Commissioners to be accountable; they make important decisions that effect all of us. I think that Commissioner O’Neill has been trying to convince the board to hold their meetings in the evening so more citizens could come and listen in, accountability according to this commissioner is a good thing, and maybe this idea should be revisited. Until then I will take time out of my busy day as much as I can and watch our commissioners at work. Do join.

Sandra

2 comments:

citizen watcher said...

Sandra,

I am so glad you have joined this blog as a participant. I applaud your concern for your son as a citizen of this county and your intent to provide him with good role models, especially with respect to public servants who serve in leadership roles in our community!

marin said...

I'm also a new user, and I wanted to point out a great article in the Oct. 3 Opinion Exchange in the Minneapolis Star Tribune. Anita Hill (of Clarence Thomas hearing fame) points out that in the 16 years since she participated in the Supreme Court confirmation hearings, she has seem many examples of character attacks on those who accuse supervisors and others of sexual harrassment. "Those accused of inappropriate behavior also often portray the individuals who complain as bizarre caricatures of themselves - oversensitive, even fanatical, and often immoral - even though they enjoy good and productive working relationships with their colleagues." She goes on: "...individuals confronted with their own bad behavior try to reduce legitimate concerns to the level of mere words or 'slights' that should be dismissed without discussion."
Eerie how history has a way of repeating itself!